Monday, August 28, 2006

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school. I feel like I have so much to say and could probably use a week to think about what went well and what I need to do in my second day to make this a productive year. Alas the second day follows the first meaning I have a lot to do by tomorrow. Right now I am simply feeling overwhelmed. Part of it is just exhaustion. Standing in front of folks and rambling about the importance of Algebra is much more physically exhausting than I anticipated. I'm feeling underprepared and I don't think many of the students cared at all about the activities we did today. I was hoping to build some sort of connection or get them interested in something, but honestly its the first day of school. Nobody wants to be there. On the positive side I got a lot of opportunities to talk to students and I felt like this was good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan-

So it's on. Remember, you are (possibly) working against an ocean of apathy and indifference. Change will not happen immediately. The mindset that these kids bring to the classroom was not created in a day, nor can be changed in a day. Be strong; I am confident that you can do this.

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years. ~Jacques Barzun

Be well, dude

Eric