Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hooray for the 10th of October

Today in Doris M. Johnson High School in Baltimore MD some students learned some Algebra. And they had fun while they did it. There were some students in the same class who didn't learn Algebra and might not have had as much fun as the rest of us. But if they've got something more important to talk about who am I to stop them?
Today went great. I don't know what I did. Maybe it was just that we were finally doing something different. Several students whose attention I don't normally get paid attention today. As usual several students did not. Some still needed to be put out of my classroom. But the rest of us we had fun. We played a game where I pick some sort of rule like adding three. The students give me numbers, I'll add three and give them answers. (If a student said '4' I would respond with '7') We ha a lot of fun. I made the game get progressively harder. In one class I gave extra credit to anyone who could come up with one I couldn't solve. We'll see how they did tomorrow.
I still need to find ways to get my classroom under control. Sooner or later they're gonna realize that some of the notes I have them copy down are a bit of a sham. If I put things on the overhead and tell them to copy it down they will. Even the kids who don't pay attention to anything else. I need some other way to get these kids to pay attention.

No comments: