Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Talkin First Week of October Blues

So I skipped school today. It was the first time since.... well actually since last year that I've done this. I guess habits die hard. This morning though, I don't know why. I just couldn't get myself out of bed to go to school. This job is hard. Its not like there has been anything traumatic happen to me or anything super tough. It is just a lot of weight on my shoulders. After spending a day wasting time and complaining about my job nothing seemed any better. Luckily for me and for a whole bunch of ninth graders I called my mom. I love my mom. She is great. I don't know what she said, but whatever it was I have a completly different frame of mind now.
As far as Algebra is concerned The first unit test is this Friday. There is a test that the City handed out with the curriculum. It's hard. Not because the kids don't have the skills. Most of them wil likely be lost on reading the problems. I am going to make changes to the test keep some problems replace others. I need to take the time to teach my students how to read these problems. The problems are written the same way as the problems on the HSA will.
Alas I am still struggling to make math meaningful for them an me. I am going to email someone from the Algebra Project and see if he can help me out. If you aren't familiar with the Algebra Project check them out. They are great.

No comments: